Tuesday, September 2, 2014

NFL Kick Off Brings the start of FANTASY Football - How much HOPE do you have in your FANTASY Team?

Ask fans of all 32 teams and they will give you reason for optimism and hope in their team this NFL season!
 
Sports teams and players can install hope within a city or within an individual. Fans feel like they are part of the team and when their sports heroes win or lose so do they. In some cases a sports team can provide hope for people in a nearby area that are undergoing a difficult time. For instance, the 1970's Pittsburgh Steelers gave hope to the city of Pittsburgh while it was suffering a recession due to steel mill and factory layoffs. In 2005, after hurricane Katrina, the people of New Orleans rallied around their beloved Saints.
 
Hope is a powerful motivator. Without hope in one's life a person will feel depressed and a lack of meaning and purpose. People need hope!
 
I am passionate about Steelers football. If the Steelers are winning I am glued to the TV and am ecstatic. When the Steelers are losing I start cleaning while still watching the TV so as to feel like I am being productive (Don't think it's true...ask my wife). After a tough loss it would really dampen my mood after a game.
 
Then came the rise of fantasy football. I loved fantasy football because it combined a number of my passions. Football and managing a team. As a teenager playing Madden I preferred building and managing a team in Dynasty mode than in actually playing the games. I loved building an All-Star team that was underneath the salary cap!
 
I played fantasy football religiously for years. Fantasy football bled over to playing fantasy baseball and basketball. I became a year round fantasy sports manager. I would manage three to four teams a season and would generally win or come close to winning every team I managed.
 
After playing in fantasy leagues for a number of years I suddenly became convicted. Where does my hope truly lie? In human football players or in my God? Why am I spending so much time managing so many teams? If I truly hope in God shouldn't I spend more time with him?
 
I decided from that day on that I would stop playing fantasy football because it showed that my hope was in something that was a fantasy. It wasn't even real!
 
Can you imagine standing before the Judgment Seat of Christ and saying - "God, I was the best manager of fantasy football ever!"
 
I have been asked to play in a bazillion fantasy football leagues since my decision and have declined every time. I can honestly say that I have fully overcome the fantasy addiction syndrome.
 
I want my extra time to count for something more. I want my HOPE to be in something GREATER!
 
Is your hope in Jesus or in a bunch of over-weight men running around in pads?
 
People spend meaningful time on what they truly hope in!
 
Psalm 147:11
The LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.

 
While I love the Steelers (even my office is decorated in black and gold) it's good to remember that there are more important things to place my hope in!

No comments:

Post a Comment