Friday, September 5, 2014

Why I will one day be the 'HIPPEST' EIGHTY YEAR OLD AROUND and why YOU should be TOO!

Let's face it: the world is changing at a rapid pace. How we as humans communicate, do business, and live is changing too....whether we like it or not.
 
I was thinking yesterday. Will my kids know what a USB port is? What all will a cell-phone be able to do ten or twenty years from now? Will my kids know what a CD is? 
 
If you want to be able to communicate with people, especially the younger generation, you must be able to communicate on THEIR wavelengths. Not your own.
 
I desire to have the best relationship that I can, if God will's it, with my children and one day grandchildren. I also want to be able to communicate with younger generations when I am older.
 
Even though you may personally enjoy a specific style of communication or way of life you must know and be up to date with the current mode of communication and lifestyle of children, teenagers, and young adults.  
 
Therefore, much to my wife's dismay I will continue to listen to hip-hop (I actually enjoy it), have a Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Blog (and whatever else comes next), and I will always enjoy hanging around where younger people are gathered.
 
What I am NOT saying is that you MUST adopt whatever the current trendy style is, but you must KNOW why it is currently trendy. Students are amazed when I am able to have conversations with them about relevant music, fashionable clothes, and trends. It shows that I care about their world and it is an open door to communicate what is going on in my world.

 
I may not dress the 'hippest' when I am 80 but I will still know what the current best selling video games, music, and clothing styles are so I can best relate to my grandchildren.
 
If you want others to understand your world you MUST take the initiative to understand theirs first!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment