Wednesday, August 3, 2016

What I've Learned at Grace Community Church (Goshen, IN)

In Acts 17:26 the apostle Paul states that "God determines the exact times and set places for people to live." Therefore, part of God's purpose in my family's life was to serve and grow together with the people at Grace Community Church these past three years. It's been quite the learning experience and I can't say enough good stuff about the staff and people at Grace. I took some time to reflect today on all that I've learned these past three years.

What I've Learned at Grace Community Church (Goshen, IN)

1. Team Dynamics - I had the opportunity to be a part of a dynamic pastoral team at Grace. "If you want to do it right go by yourself...if you want to go far do it as a team." I was sharpened and challenged more by the pastoral team at Grace than with any other pastoral team I've served with.

2. Don't Over Program - As a high level planner I was challenged to not over program and to leave room for spontaneity and the Holy Spirit to work. Things can change and happen very quickly so pay attention and use daily situations to move your group accordingly.

3. You Can Do More Than You Think - The pace of office life is very quick but you can do more than you think. When you are leaning on the Holy Spirit, being sharpened daily, and seeing life change it motivates you to press on and storm the gates of hell.

4. Youth Ministry is ALWAYS Where It's At - Working with young people has brought such joy, energy, and relevancy to my life. Regardless of my age, I will continue to invest into young people.

5. Don't Say Someone's 'No' For Them - Many times people or volunteers don't help or serve because they don't get asked. We have not because we ask not. I was reminded that even if you expect a no you need to ask. You are offering people to join a life changing mission. Never be afraid or timid about asking people to join.

6. Never Lose Sight of Reaching Lost People - I've never been a part of a group of believers so committed to reaching people who don't know Jesus. Evangelism is the engine that drives Grace Community Church.

7. People, People, People - At the end of the day it's people that matter. I've formed some life-long friends. I've met some of the greatest people on earth and know their names and their stories. I thank God for the people of Grace Community Church!

8. Don't Be Afraid to Call Out Men - Men need to be challenged and held to a high standards as the leader's of their home. Grace is not afraid to call men to a higher standard of living as Christ followers.

9. Give Invitations - Many people just need an opportunity to make a commitment or put a stake in the ground. Don't be afraid to have public invitations and invite people to join what God is laying on their heart and make a commitment.

10. Say Thanks - Thanks to Jim Brown who took a shot on hiring me as youth pastor. Thanks to an incredible pastoral team that spoke truth into my life. Thanks to an incredible adult youth team that loved on teenagers. Thanks to the teenagers of Axis youth ministries for the privilege of being your youth pastor. Thank you to Grace Community Church for allowing me to hone my gifts and talents (and for putting up with me!)

The greatest thing I take with me to Kendallville, IN is Grace Community Church!

Many Of The Teens I'll Miss...But Excited to See Where God Leads Axis!

First Axis Youth Event Three Years Ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment