Friday, March 21, 2014

My FIRST close relationship with a STUDENT as a YOUTH LEADER!

Achieving firsts are always a big deal!

A young child's first steps, first night away from home, first day of school, first date, first kiss, the purchase of your first home......you get the point! The first experience or accomplishment is ALWAYS memorable and important.

I can remember the first student that I ever connected with and impacted as a leader.

I was a freshman at Lancaster Bible College and I knew that God was calling me into full-time ministry. I was given some opportunities to speak to the Jr. High Sunday School class at a nearby church.

If you want to test your "ministry mettle" what better place to start with than with Jr. Highers!?! Jr. Highers are impressionable, malleable, full of high energy, forgiving, and bluntly honest.

During my teaching times I noticed one young student taking notes and paying extra attention. I would always briefly interject one deep theological term each teaching session so that he could write it down and dialogue about it with his father.

The young man's curiosity about the Scriptures led to questions, which led to extended conversations, which led to pick-up basketball games, and which led finally to a close relationship. Eventually, I needed a place to stay for the summer as I interned at the church. I was given the opportunity to live with his family for a summer and then live with them for nine months after my college graduation.

I'm happy to say that the young Jr. Higher is now married (to another former Jr. Higher student of mine), is leading worship and working with teenagers in the same youth group, and most importantly is walking with the LORD!

Ministry connects and brings people together! I never would have thought that as a college student a few teaching opportunities to the Jr. Highers would lead to a deep friendship with a student and his family!

Proud of you Allan Dunk! Happy to call you friend and brother in Jesus!

 
Grateful to this family that "adopted" me while in college! It was great reconnecting this week.

1 comment:

  1. All my life i have never seen anything that work so fast like Dr.Agbazara spell. I am from New Jersey and my name is Nicole after contacting Dr.Agbazara then i started believing in the saying that every coin has two sides. When my lover left me she sworn never to come back to me again but thank God that through the help of Dr.Agbazara i have my lover back to me within 48 hours and i will also want other people that are heart broken to contact Dr.Agbazara through these details below which are via email: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or via Whatsapp on +2348104102662 then you can see the wonders of Dr.Agbazara

    ReplyDelete