Monday, January 27, 2014

How I Saw God Work Through the Midst of Tragedy - Kenny Lindley Funeral Recap

I was honored to officiate the funeral service of a former student of mine this past Saturday. He was killed in a car crash where a snow plough hit a semi that jack-knifed into his truck. He was killed instantly. The young man was only twenty years old.
 
As a youth pastor you never imagine burying one of your students. Never. We live though in a fallen world where tragedy happens. Christians can either shy away from this reality or stand in the gap and answer the call when something tragic happens! When the tenacity of darkness rears its ugly head that's when Christians need to be bold because the power of the light of Christ is stronger than the power of darkness and death!
 
God is always working, even in the midst of the most hopeless (so they appear) situations.
 

HERE ARE SOME WAYS IN WHICH I SAW GOD WORK

 
1. The young man had made a profession of faith during one of our winter retreats. I have the hope that he is with Jesus now!
2. I gave a hand raising invitation and saw at least three people raise their hands to want to accept Christ at the end of the service! This young man's death led to other people receiving life.
3. My former church helped make God look good. The church building and meal was prepared for free by the church family. After the service the step-father of the boy that was killed approached me and told me that he was expecting a simple cold-meat and cheese dinner, but the FCC church family had a full meal prepared with salads, hot dishes, and desserts. The church made an impression on him through their generosity. God's generosity was on full display.
4. I was reminded how impactful a dynamic youth ministry can be and how long lasting the effects are. This young man was accepted into our youth ministry even though he was deaf. We impacted him and he had an impact on us! Even though I had transitioned to serve at another church our youth ministry is still seeing fruit from seeds planted years ago.
5. Church family truly is family. We had an open microphone time where people could share. Half of the testimonies where from teenagers and staff within our youth ministry. We also formed a youth/youth worker choir when we sang. You could tell the crowd that had gathered was amazed and impressed at the support that our church family was extending. I loved that former students, friends, and youth workers joined in the choir.
6. I got to spend some valuable time with a friend and brother in the Lord. While driving to and from the graveside I drove in the hearse with Brian Decamp who is a funeral home director, former elder of FCC, and friend. I enjoyed and benefited from our conversation.
7. The funeral service was truly honoring to the deceased and to God. The eulogy, testimonies, video, songs, and gospel presentation were well presented and received.
8. There were many there at the funeral who needed to hear about hope. On Sunday, I had a conversation with a cop that attends my current church and works in the Wolcottville area. He knew of a number of individuals that were attending the funeral that were lost. I encouraged him because the gospel was clearly presented and hope was preached!
9. During the graveside ceremony I had everyone extend their hands as a symbolic gesture in dedicating the deceased soul to the Lord. It was a powerful moment.
10. It increased my fervor for the gospel! I hand a young man approach me who was part of our youth ministry in Kendallville while as a Jr. Higher but had slowly faded away as a Sr. Higher. After the service he approached me and told me that he had recently accepted Christ as Savior! I also got to rub shoulders with countless people that I have been ministering to and working on to come to the Lord through the years. My prayer is that through seeing God's grace on display they are one step closer to accepting Christ. The gospel is life changing!
 
I have a saying: Once a student of mine ALWAYS dear to my HEART! My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the family.

 
A picture that Kim took after the service where people were dismissed to pay their final respects to the deceased. (I am standing in the far right to be a comfort as needed).

No comments:

Post a Comment