Thursday, March 27, 2014

What A Pothole and Two Flat Tires will Teach You

I have had tires that have been leaking, that have had nails stuck in them, and that have had tar stuck on them. It has been since college though since I actually had a flat tire. This time though, I did not receive one flat tire but God decided to bless me with TWO flat tires (both on the right side of the vehicle).

It was late this past Monday Night as Kim and I were returning home from Pennsylvania and we were literally, three minutes and thirty seconds according to the GPS, away from home. Kim and I decided to take a back route to save time. Unfortunately, the road had suffered considerable damage and corrosion from snow ploughs and a hard winter. As we went down a hill there was a large pothole at the bottom ready to greet us. By the time we saw the large pothole (it took up half of our side of the road), it was too late. Both of our tires went into the pothole and instantly burst.

Here are some life and leadership lessons from this incident:
1. I was thankful for my Grandma's generosity. Every year she buys and renews a AAA membership for me. In less than an hour a tow truck came and towed our car back home (free of charge to us).
2. People do care and want to help out. As our car was sitting in someone's driveway a student that attends our youth program and was driving home from work stopped to check in on us. He was surprised to find out that it was his youth pastor that needed help! He allowed my wife to stay in his truck and stay warm while the tow truck came, hooked up our vehicle, and was ready to haul us home. God used that young man to be a refresher and an encouragement to us!
3. Watch the signs and markers around you. Before we hit our monster pothole there was a guy that had gotten a flat tire a few minutes earlier and who was putting his spare tire on in an empty church parking lot. We should have taken this as a warning that the road was in bad shape in more than one spot.
4. When life gives you lemons make lemonade! Instead of yelling and screaming we quickly assessed the damage, made the proper phone calls, and walked to document and take some pictures around the pothole. This helped relieve some anxiety and added some much needed fun to a stressful time.
5. Thankful that we have two cars! (I have respect for families who make it work with just one vehicle).
6. Without ministry friends and neighbors I'd be in trouble! Not only did God provide a student to encourage me while alongside of the road but a young man who is doing Fight Club (a Men's Discipleship Ministry in our church) and who is in my squad and who lives a couple of doors away from me was able to take my tires and rims off for me as he had the right equipment!
7. Take the hardships as a test from God! As much as I wanted to make excuses, complain, or accuse my wife I did my best to hold my tongue. Maybe God allowed this to happen to test me. If we take good from the Lord we must also allow him to use the bad to refine us!


 
In commemoration of two tires that willing gave their lives for Kim and I!

2 comments:

  1. It’s a good thing that you have a very supportive family and set of friends and ministry as well. That was a bit unfortunate of you to hit a flat tire literally minutes away from home. Life is really unexpected, but always stays true to the fact that despite anything that can happen, as long as you’ve surrounded yourself with the right people, you'll always get through any troubles you encounter. :)

    Richard Diaz @ Save Money Towing

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s good to hear that you’re able to learn some lessons from having a flat. Some people would just rant in fury, especially when they’re in rush. It’s good to be optimistic in that kind of situation. However, it also helps to keep a spare tire and tools in the trunk so you have everything you need to do the fix yourself.

    Maria Valencia @ Mexican Tires & Service

    ReplyDelete