Thursday, January 9, 2014

Relationships + Over Time = Effectiveness

I was reminded again of the importance of relationships with teenagers this past Wednesday. I can not say it enough....ministry is ALL about RELATIONSHIPS! Teenagers will not follow, listen, or care if you are not intentionally trying to build a relationship with them. In fact, who would!?!

I had the opportunity to lead and sit in with the Senior Guys group this past Wednesday. The people that had made the biggest impact in their lives were men who had spent time over years investing into them. This was good for them to say and reassuring to me as I want to be intentional about building into them and other Axis students.

Here are some aspects about working with teenagers that I love concerning relationships and effectiveness.
1. Teenagers DO NOT need another sermon! What they do need is someone to walk through life with them. (Teenagers are smarter and more educated than you think. What they really need to know is that you care and will be there to help them!) A vibrant teaching ministry is critical to a youth ministry but relationships are more important than how charismatic or incredible each message is!
2. Teenagers can spot a FAKE a MILE away! They know who cares for them and who doesn't.
3. Adults are the GLUE to any youth ministry! It is impossible for me to build relationally into 200 teenagers, but my youth staff and small group leaders can! The glue to what holds any youth ministry is the youth staff, hands down!
4. Be INTENTIONAL with your relationship building! I intentionally block time out of my schedule to visit students at lunch, during sporting events, and before and after church.
5. Students don't know QUALITY time they just know TIME! Young people are so adulterated with stuff and are busy that most simply want to just 'hang out' with no agenda. There are times when it's great just to 'hang out' with teenagers.

Longevity is paramount in building up trust with teenagers. The more you are around them the more they will trust you!

As I look back on my past years of ministry I always come back to this fact. Once a student of mine, always dear to my heart! It is all about relationships!

My first retreat with my Goshen gang! You only get to know people when you LIVE with them!

Here is a picture of many former students/youth staff at the church I interned at while as a Lancaster Bible College student. I still keep in touch with these people to this day!

Who could forget the 'Dynamite' performance at our Sub-Zero Retreat with Matt and Clint a few years ago! Good practicing and performance memories!
 

Jim Brown may or may not have 'swatted' me. Here's to a dunk in his face next time.
Really enjoying getting to know and be a part of this tight-knit group of Jesus freaks!
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks meant for sharing this type of satisfying opinion, written piece is fastidious, that’s why I’ve read it completely.what fragrances attracts men

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my life i have never seen anything that work so fast like Dr.Agbazara spell. I am from New Jersey and my name is Nicole after contacting Dr.Agbazara then i started believing in the saying that every coin has two sides. When my lover left me she sworn never to come back to me again but thank God that through the help of Dr.Agbazara i have my lover back to me within 48 hours and i will also want other people that are heart broken to contact Dr.Agbazara through these details below which are via email: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or via Whatsapp on +234 810 410 2662 then you can see the wonders of Dr.Agbazara

    ReplyDelete