Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Difference a DECADE can make!

Today, my high-school graduating class is meeting for our 10 year reunion in South Central, PA. (Unfortunately, I was unable to make it due to the busyness of this transition period in my life). Man, does time fly. A lot can change in a decade. I thought it wise to be introspective and take a look at what God has done in the past ten years since my high-school graduation. God only gives us seven or eight, or if we are lucky nine decades, so I think it wise to learn from my past decade of life and experience.

Psalm 90:10

10 Our days may come to seventy years,
    or eighty, if our strength endures;
yet the best of them are but trouble and sorrow,
    for they quickly pass, and we fly away.
12 Teach us to number our days,    that we may gain a heart of wisdom.


- I gained my high-school diploma, undergraduate degree, master's degree, and have started a Ph.D. degree.
- I went from being a 'Keystoner' to a 'Hoosier.'
- I started as a Jr. High youth intern, became a part-time Jr. High director, became a youth pastor, and am now a 'veteran' youth minister.
- I gained thirty pounds only to have quite recently lost fifteen of those pesky pounds again.
- I have gained a deeper sense of calling and direction from the Lord.
- I have started seeing gray hair show up in my beard.
- I have gone from being a mentee to one who is a mentor to men that are pursuing full-time ministry.
- I have gone on mission trips to Haiti, Israel, and across the U.S.
- I went as a student on Operation Barnabas (a ministry training program) only to be a Senior Leader in 2010.
- I have baptized and had the opportunity to officiate a number of weddings of my students.
- I have started the process whereby all Cosentino's start to shrink. (As if we were not short enough).
- I have started the process of my NEXT transition as I will be moving to Goshen, IN to serve as associate pastor there.
- I upgraded from a Saturn to a G6 convertible.
- I rarely sleep the entire night now, but get up to go to the bathroom in the wee hours of the morning.
- I have met countless people, suffered hardships, and felt God's abiding peace.
- I have learned that God expects us to DREAM and EXPECT big things from Him.
- I have learned that I can only eat Buffalo Wild Wings before 9 PM otherwise forget it.
- I love to fish for both the animal and for the unsaved.
- I have used innumerable hair cuts and fashions.
- I co-taught my first college class as a professor.
- Most importantly, God has placed the woman of my dreams into my lap!

God has done some incredible thing in my life within the past decade. I thank God for everyone whom He has placed within my path. If the next decade was like the past decade my wife and I are in for one wild ride!

A picture from when I was a part-time Jr. High director in South Central, PA. Great guys, great memories!
Kim told me that I could never sport the 'perm' look again. This is the best you and anyone else will ever get a chance to see this look from me again. Sad day! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment