Wednesday, August 3, 2016

One of My Top 5 Worst Life Experiences - Wisdom Teeth

A few days ago I was thinking about my recovery process regarding getting my wisdom teeth extracted. I compared it to some of my other personal life experiences. I came to the conclusion that the process of getting my wisdom teeth out was one of my top 5 worst life experiences. What are my other worst life experiences.....here you go (in order):

1. Failed engagement/Dating break-ups
2. Kidney Stone
3. Open dislocation of the bone in my right ring finger
4. Wisdom teeth
5. Infection in my leg as an elementary student

Wisdom Teeth Extraction & Recovery Story

I opted to not get my wisdom teeth out unless it was necessary. A few months ago I started developing soreness on my jaw around where my wisdom teeth were located. In addition to that I developed sacs of fluid in certain areas where my wisdom teeth were causing issues. I was not one of the lucky ones.....I needed to get my wisdom teeth out.

On the day of my surgery the oral surgeon made it clear that my surgery was going to be a little more intense than most. Due to my age (31) and to how deep my wisdom teeth were impacted it would make this surgery harder than normal. My upper left wisdom tooth was extremely deep and close to my sinuses. My lower right wisdom tooth was deep and was sitting on my jaw nerve.

Toward the end of the surgery my wife was called to the operating room where one of the nurses explained that since my lower right wisdom tooth was so deep it had caused some complications in the removal process. Simply put, they though that they had broke or fractured my jaw and were doing X-rays to see. Luckily, my jaw was not broken. One of the few things that went right.

Upon release my wife rushed me home and left to try and get liquid medicine. Unfortunately, she did not return by the time my medication had worn off. I was crying when she returned and blubbering statements such as "why did you leave me?" (At this time I can laugh over this situation....but it still may be a bit fresh for my wife ;)

The next four days I slept 16-18 hours a day due to the pain and drowsiness of the medication. I even had blood gush from my nose as they had to crush my upper wisdom teeth since they were so close to my sinuses. Simply sitting up caused me to be nauseous. By the weekend I was feeling a bit better, but could not sit or stand up. I was finally able to get on my feet six days after my surgery.

In the aftermath I lost 8 pounds in 8 days. A silver lining through this trying endeavor. I was only able to eat soft foods for quite some time.

As I look back on this story one pervasive theme has emerged. I'm so glad that Kim was around to take care of me. Within the past 2.5 years of our marriage my wife has had to take care of me as I've had a kidney stone and had a traumatic wisdom teeth surgery. In addition, I've had the opportunity to pay the favor back through the difficult pregnancy of our daughter Charis. I'm thankful that marriage is about teamwork. I don't think either of us would have made it without each other.

How was your wisdom teeth surgery? Would you recommend getting them out early or risking it like I did?
Two Words: Never Again!

1 comment:

  1. When I got my wisdom teeth pulled, the dentist had to cut my gums and pull underneath. I had to be out of work for a few days, but didn't listen and went in anyway. It may have been awful then, but I have been through much worse, like deaths in the family and financial hardship. I am still alive.

    ReplyDelete