Monday, July 29, 2013

The Power of an Encouraging Word

Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. (NLT)
Proverbs 12:25
 
This afternoon I had the opportunity to peruse and read some letters, cards, and notes that people have given me and that I have kept throughout the years. As one pastor friend recommended to me years ago: deal with all of the negative letters right away and then tear them up BUT keep all of the cards and letters that are encouraging and dear to you for future rereadings. This has been great advice as I have on occasion read through encouraging letters that I have saved in my office when I was down and hurting. Here are a few noticeable reflection points on this topic.
 
- I kept more encouraging cards and letters when I was at my lowest moments. For example, I have kept the most items from the years of 2008-2009 as I was grieving over the loss of a new fiancee while adjusting to a new life in Indiana. This is when encouraging words meant the most.
- There is a sense of satisfication in your work when you realize that God has used you at a particular location. This also gave me a deeper sense of purpose and hunger to reach others in the future.
- Reading encouraging letters cheers a person up as it makes them feel special.
- There is always a surprise in receiving a letter of encouragement. Rereading the letter helps you relive that surprise and excitement level when you first received that letter.
- Encouraging other people is Biblical. Life is difficult and the community of believer needs to encourage and spur other people on toward love and good deeds! That is why a person is NOT getting as much out of their faith if they simply come, hear a good sermon, and leave. Community is important because it fosters encouragement and growth!
 
I would like to thank the people of First Christian Church and the town of Kendallville for being so intentional about encouraging me in my spiritual growth. The fruit of our youth ministry and your encouragement will live on for generations!
I also pray that I have been an encourager to you a reader of this blog today.
 
 
A picture of one of my files that contain encouraging cards/letters/notes!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment