Thursday, December 15, 2016

What I am Learning as a Church Planter!

Church planting has been a time of great growth and development for me as a person. I am thankful that I get to grow with such a gracious group of people at Legacy Church.

Here is a list of things that God has been teaching me:


1) Focus on spiritual growth measurements more than typical church growth measurements (attendance, finances). While attendance and finances are important to gauge your main goal though should be on the spiritual health of your flock. People are not a means to an end (your success), and are more then a number.
2) The strain of a start-up will bring you closer to your church members. Never be afraid to ask for help or enlist support. A close connection is formed by those who serve together. The cost is our time and sweat, but the reward is a deep bond with each other forged by the love of Christ.
3) Vision REALLY does leak. I sometimes assumed that because of a long relationship with my staff or others that we were on the same page. Many times we were not. Always communicate expectations and thoughts on a regular basis.
4) Say 'You're Sorry' when you've messed up. I've had to apologize to my staff more than once with a leadership error. The only thing people won't forgive someone for is perfection.
4) People look to YOU the church planter for vision. There is no way around being the chief fundraiser, vision caster, and strategist as a church planter. People look to you to lead them, and you must do your best, with God's help.
5) Expectations can gnaw at you. Don't compare yourself with the church next door. Be faithful to what God has called YOU to do and take realizable steps to get there.
6) If the vision is God's He will provide. The story of Legacy Church is simple. Once the people and the vision were crystalized God provided the resources.
7) Church planting requires sacrifice. Don't think it will be easy. It is rewarding though!
8) Team! Team! Team! The more you can delegate and have others help carry the load the better off you will be. Equip and entrust others. The long term future of the church hinges upon your ability to do this.
9) Your wife needs to be your biggest fan. Without spousal support I would be sunk. In some ways, I feel as if church planting is harder for the wife. Church planting will bring you and your wife closer together if managed the right way.
10) It's worth it! If asked whether I'd plant a church in Kendallville again I would say a wholehearted YES! I love the joy of watching a baby church grow. I pray that I will see this joy happen numerous times as Legacy Church grows and expands.  

Here's to many more memories and future church planting births Legacy Church! I am thankful to be YOUR pastor.

We had a fun Volunteer Appreciation Dinner this past Friday Night!
Can't wait to see who God adds to our number next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment