Monday, June 1, 2015

TEN YEARS from now YOU will say it was WORTH IT!

What if you could FAST FORWARD ten years from now?
If you saw the potential impact you would make would it change how hard you worked TODAY?
 
Anyone working with young people will no doubt get frustrated or discouraged. It's hard and sometimes difficult because you struggle seeing the fruit of your labor.
 
This past weekend I had the opportunity to enjoy the fruit from blood, sweat, and tears strewn over ten years ago. I had the privilege of officiating the wedding of a couple that I had as a Jr. High director when they were in 7th grade. Their relationship lasted over ten years and yet to this day they still saw and remembered me as someone who had left an impact on their life.

I was reminded over and over again this weekend that people matter. Teenagers matter.
 
This weekend not only did I officiate the weeding of a couple whom I invested in and prayed for but I was able to encourage a number of former students. I also had the opportunity to thank and chat with older believers who had helped and invested a lot of time into me while I was in PA.
 
Ten years is an eternity when it comes to youth ministry. A squirrely Junior Higher can become a married adult in ten years. It's a time of great transition and vulnerability. Having Godly adults to invest in teens is critical.
 
Never forget who you are or from where you came from! This will keep you humble and thankful for those that God has placed within your life. In fact, God places people into your life for seasons for a reason and a purpose. This will give you intentionality with your relationships. That means that God has placed specific young people in your path for you to invest into and impact. NEVER TAKE THAT FOR GRANTED!
 
For those of you who work with people, never give up! You are making a difference. Press on. 
 
"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
(I Corinthians 15:58)
 
I sure love and miss this group of former Jr. Highers and I am proud of them!
 
Congrats Derek and Hannah! Honored to officiate your wedding.
My time with you will always be special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment