Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Why YOU will DIE SOONER than you THINK!

Maybe, I'm a pessimist. Maybe, I just feel down because the last three funerals I've officiated have been of individuals who have been 40 years of age or younger. Maybe, I've been reflecting on the meaning of life and am coming to conclusions much like Solomon did in the book of Ecclesiastes.
 
No one envisions dying young. No one. I've heard countless times the phrase in a funeral home - "the (name of the deceased) is too young to die."
 
Even individuals who are fairly old, when you talk to them on their death bed, many wish they could be alive a little while longer.

There is something about the human psyche that pushes death to the side. We deal with death only when it is forced upon us, and we never like to envision or think about our funeral. This is an unhealthy coping mechanism that our society has reinforced.
 
This is part of the reason why funerals can be so "shocking" because we have an underdeveloped view of death. If life is simply about me than death at whatever age is too young. If life is about enjoying God's blessings than our perspective changes. We go from shock and tragedy to gratitude and thankfulness for what God has given.
 
You will die. In fact you have a 100% chance of dying. If you knew at what age you'd die my guess is that you'd ask God to add more years to your life. In this way, all will die sooner than they think.
 
As a 30 year old I feel like I have lived a full life. If I died tomorrow I would not be bitter at God. I've received more than I deserve.
 
You will die sooner than you think. Have you thought about your funeral? You might not have made the most of your life now, but you can make the most out of the time you do have left!
 
Here are some suggestions concerning the fact that you will die sooner than you think:
 
1. Take time to think about your legacy. Jot down on a piece of paper some characteristics or achievements you'd want to be remembered for and work on them.
2. Develop a will for your family. Leave nothing to chance.
3. Plan your funeral. Make sure the songs and verses you want sung and read at your funeral are in a place where others know where to find it. I've recorded a few messages that I want played at my funeral. I don't want just anybody officiating my funeral. How many people get to preach at their own funeral!?!
4. Forgive someone. Bitterness will eat you to your core all throughout your life and you will die a bitter person. Forgive someone and be free! I assume that you are hurt by someone - this is an undeniable aspect of life - and I assume that only through God's power that you can truly forgive someone.
5. Make changes. You might not have lived a God honoring life but you can make changes so that the pastor can say from this particular date on this person was a difference maker. Do not make the pastor lie at your funeral!

James 4:14
"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment