Monday, December 8, 2014

Where are your EYES when you WORSHIP?

Just wondering, how many of you have seriously ever considered THIS question!?!
When you attend a worship service and are singing, where are your eyes?
 
Sometimes, and too often, I find myself looking and surveying other people when they worship.
 
Thoughts can quickly fill my thinking such as:
1. Some people are 'show boating' and are too expressive in their worship!
2. Some people have so much garbage going on in their lives how can they even worship God with how they've been treating each other and Him?
3. Do these people even have a basic understanding of who God is? How can they worship the One whom they do not even know?
 
This type of thinking can quickly lead to hypocritical thinking because it misses the mark or aim of our worship.
 
Paul says it best: We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. (2 Corinthians 10:12).
 
Simply put, when our eyes become focused on watching other people we can start measuring and comparing ourselves to them. In essence, we can quickly become prideful because we feel we have more of a 'right' to worship then they do. This is unwise, because our focus should always be on Jesus!
 
I have concluded that people will use different expressions of worship and this is solely between them and God. My focus should not be on what they are or are not doing.
 
When I worship I focus my eyes on one of two places. Focus on looking at and thinking about the lyrics of the song you are singing and how they impact your walk with Jesus or look up/heavenward and think about your relationship with Jesus. Either way my eyes are above the congregants below!
 
Next time you are singing in church take time to think about where your eyes are! If they are focused on other people it may be because you have become proud. Focus them higher on the words on the screen OR towards the roof as you focus on Christ!
 
Thoughts!?! Agree?

 

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Dan. What about eyes on the worship team? I know as a worship leader I give thought to what I'm doing on stage to point others upward if they would be looking at me, attempting to encourage others to worship through example. But I am aware that sometimes worship leaders can also (intentionally or not) jeopardize that focus.

    Can you describe, from your perspective, a worship team that truly points that focus where it should be as they lead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question.

    I'd say that the best way for worship leaders to point others to Jesus would be to model appropriate and purposeful modes of worship. Some ways in which worship leaders do this may be to have other singers sing lead parts (so they are not always the focal point), and most importantly to make sure that they are engaged with Christ and focusing upon Him during worship. A good worship leader knows the balance of focusing on their worship while leading while also being attentive in guiding people through a worship set, etc.

    Sometimes, a quick verbal in-between or doing songs stating "focus on the words" or "focus on Jesus" also helps people to center their heart on Christ.

    Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Verbal encouragement between songs seems to be very effective, and the lack of it occasionally causes the music or the band to come into a greater focus. I love to split up whose leading also, especially with a female voice.

    I've also noticed mid-song guidance language works well, such as a bit of a lyric we're about to sing. For those closing eyes, this prevents them from having to open them and check to make sure they're about to sing the right words :). Just a small thing, but I know when I'm being led it makes me feel taken care of.

    Thanks for the response!

    ReplyDelete