Monday, August 11, 2014

Did That Just Happen in ONE Year!?! (Thoughts on One Year in Goshen)

I constantly find myself trying to slow down a day, or life in general, but time flies by so quickly!

I have been working at Grace Community Church for a year starting tomorrow. Wow.

Today, I took some time to just think about what God has done in my life within the past year as I look to kick off some Fall ministry programming. Spending a few minutes reflecting each day is important. (If you do not reflect and examine your life let me encourage you to do so).

Socrates - "The unexamined life is not worth living"

Here are some examinations/reflections on this past year

 
1. It will take longer than you anticipate to get where you want to go so keep your goal in mind and keeping taking steps in the right direction! (You can only do so much in a year, but you can do a lot in five years)
2. Marriage truly gets better every day! I can honestly say that I love and am enamored with my wife today more than before!
3. I'm a two time Fight Club graduate!
4. I have completed two years of Ph.D. studies! I will be done with all of my precedent literature reading, prerequisite requirements, and two years of classes this week!
5. Loneliness is when God speaks the loudest! Don't try to fill up silenced time with noise. Learn to embrace quiet times.
6. I still believe youth ministry is where it's at in the ministry field! I stay relevant and young working with teenagers!
7. Building a team is crucial for effectiveness in ministry! Teams must buy into the vision and truly enjoy working together.
8. Don't allow work to impact your quality time with your wife/(family)!
9. Reaching lost people must be at the forefront of any ministry!
10. Our youth program is about to explode! Now is the time to structure and plan for future growth.
11. I enjoy preaching, but I need to keep working at honing my craft to get better!
12. For whatever reasons God keeps locating me to live in rural areas! As a rule of thumb I like suburban areas more. 
13. My Achilles heel is good junk food! I need to become more disciplined in this area.
14. Never be afraid to lead in an area where God has given you a passion! Ever!
15. Allow room for the Holy Spirit to work in your programming and structuring of events!
16. Have a hobby or activity in which you can just relax or let loose!
17. Past relationships are precious to me! Make sure when transitioning from ministries that the right things are said.
18. Make sure you stay malleable and flexible as a person! The day you are unopen to change in your life or the ministry in which you oversee is the day it starts to become stagnant and dies.
19. Do not take yourself too seriously! Seriously!
20. Reliance upon God becomes more and more focal to my daily existence! I realize this more than I did a year ago!
 
What is God teaching you this past year?!?


No comments:

Post a Comment