Monday, February 17, 2014

FISHING and METEOROLOGY, A STRANGE PAIRING INDEED!

Each elementary child is mesmerized by something!

I can remember fishing with my grandfather, uncle, and cousin as a five year old. I was fishing with a basic bobber and worm on a fishing bank overlooking cold clear water. We caught a bunch of small panfish that day but what I remember the most is being in awe of watching each small fish investigate and then try to devour that poor worm. It does not matter how many fish I catch I am always in awe and wonderment of the entire process!

Biggest bass I caught last year. Just ask me to replay the events from before the cast to landing this fish and I can tell you everything in full detail! 

I grew up in South Central PA and I can remember wishing, as most elementary students would, that we would have snow days where school would get cancelled. Before dinner, every evening, I would follow the latest weather reports on Weather World. When a storm system would draw near I would research and investigate as many forecasts as possible, and even make my own. To this day, I always enjoy a good snow storm and will regularly walk around my house and look out each window to enjoy the snowfall. (By the way, they are calling for 4-6 inches this evening and tonight!) This passion all started when I was an elementary student.

Here's my point. There is NO ONE else in my family that enjoys fishing or following the weather like I do. It was something that was cultivated within my being at an early age! Most of our desires and what we work towards as an adult starts out when we were younger children. That is why children's and youth ministry is so vital as it helps foster and develop each person's uniqueness and God-given talents. As a child, what mesmerized or made your mind race with excitement? I bet you are still passionate about that subject to this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment